Thursday 24 November 2016

Review: Open Road Summer

Open Road SummerOpen Road Summer by Emery Lord
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First of all, can I just say that when they're done right, female friendships are amazing!

I'd heard so much buzz surrounding this book and Emery Lord as a contemporary author that although I don't normally read a lot of contemporary, I had to check it out - and yes, I'm glad I did! This story touched my heart and is such a beautiful reminder of all the good, deep, and meaningful female friendships I've had in my own life. The road trip aspect was so much fun and definitely got me excited for summer to arrive!

"Her wings stretch wide, but she's not soaring; her clawed feet are not tucked up against her stomach. She seems...ready. Like she's getting there."

Reagan is such a great character. She has been through hell and back and despite a few major setbacks throughout her difficult life, Reagan has thus far managed to keep it together just enough to persevere, due in large part to the thick, defensive walls she has carefully constructed around her. When we first meet Reagan she is hardened, still recovering from the physical and emotional scars that have finally prompted her to turn her life around. Although she wouldn't readily admit it to herself, Reagan is strong, self-aware, and possesses just enough self-love to actually want to change her life for the better. Her character arc throughout the book is wonderful to witness and I enjoyed watching her navigate through some pretty tricky situations with gusto and an enduring desire to 'do the right thing.'

"It's part of Dee's charm, that every spark is love to her, every first kiss, every tingle of anticipation. Each moment has big possibilities for Dee."

Lilah, or "Dee," is delightful. She is a refreshing mix of sweet, Southern belle and gutsy power-house. I want to be her friend in real life, so so badly. Dee is frighteningly mature for her 17 years (far more than I ever was at her age) and deals with her new-found fame with courage, confidence and an unwavering loyalty not only to her family, friends and fans but most importantly to herself. Dee has lead a charmed life in comparison to Reagan but still has her fare share of growing to do, learning to take the reins on her own life without holding back for all of the 'what-ifs'.

Reagan and Dee have an amazing bond and support each other exactly how best friends should - without back-stabbing, jealousy, gossip or scheming. They are honest-to-goodness true friends and I can't tell you enough how wonderful it was to be a part of their world for a little while.

"I could sink into the Nashville night like a plush lounge chair."

One last note - I think I highlighted every delicious line about the scenery, the big open sky, the cities they visited and especially about Nashville. I am a sucker for descriptive text and Emery Lord delivered. I felt like I could smell and feel the hot, Southern air and wanted to be wrapped up in the same summer warmth like no other!

Overall, this is a great contemporary read with so much to offer. Although I focused my review on Dee and Reagan, there is a lovely romance or two involving swoon-worthy guys as well. There is laughter, love, tears, and enough big open skies to satisfy everyone.

Happy Reading!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment