Thursday 24 November 2016

Review: How Much Land Does a Man Need?

How Much Land Does A Man Need?How Much Land Does A Man Need? by Leo Tolstoy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had never read anything by Tolstoy up to this point, mostly due to my own intimidation in taking on his dense works. I think this little number has been an adequate introduction to Tolstoy, at least as far as his writing style and general view of humankind goes. This small book contains two short stories, "How Much Land Does A Man Need?" and "What Men Live By," both exploring our innate tendency as humans towards greed, pride and envy, as well as our more selfless side as caretakers, givers, and our capacity to love even strangers. Both stories are heavy on Christian morals and the importance of having faith in God.

On the back cover it mentions that James Joyce felt "How Much Land Does A Man Need?" to be "the world's greatest story," a lofty claim indeed. I would only agree with him if what he actually means is the last line of the story, where the 'punch line' occurs, so to speak. I won't spoil it, but that line alone remains timeless, with a relevancy that shines on today.

However, overall the story is predictable and yes, it's preachy. I've read enough of the Classics to be used to this by now, as well the didactic quality that works such as these take on. Yet it surprised me nonetheless in this story and in "What Men Live By," which turns out to be even more heavy-handed with Christian allegory. I think it boils down to me knowing very little about Tolstoy himself other than the titles of his major works and his immense popularity and influence as a Russian writer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment